The Funza Lushaka Bursary Programme is a multi-year programme to promote teaching as a profession. Bursaries are available to enable eligible students to complete a teaching qualification in an area of national priority. Recipients of these bursaries will be required to teach at a public school for the same number of years that they received the bursary.
Recipients of the bursary must apply on-line for the bursary in every year. The recipient must also complete the placement information as required in every year. The provincial education department (PED) will place a graduate bursar in a suitable teaching post. If a particular PED does not have a suitable teaching post for the graduate bursar, the applicant may be placed in a PED that does have a suitable post. Please note that bursars cannot choose the school in which they would like to be placed and placement cannot be deferred for any reason.
Read these conditions carefully, and if you agree with them, press the “I accept” button at the end.
- The bursary is only awarded to South African citizens with a valid South African ID number.
- Allocation of Funza Lushaka bursaries to Higher Education Institution employees, their spouse and their dependents/children is not permissible.
- Bursary applicants must already have been accepted into a either BEd or PGCE qualification at an accredited public University. The applicant must also meet the national selection criteria for the Funza Lushaka bursary.
- The bursary will only be awarded if two of the priority area subjects are included as a specialisation in the teaching qualification.
- Please note that you are responsible for paying your registration fee, awaiting the outcome of the bursary application. Paying for the registration fee, does not mean you will receive the bursary.
- The Bursary Selection Committee meets and processes all bursary applications during February and March of the academic year.
- The Funza Lushaka Bursary Coordinator at the University will notify you, not later than 30 April, as to whether you have been awarded the bursary or not.
- The bursary holder is not allowed to change the area of specialisation on which basis the bursary was awarded.
- On qualifying, the bursar will be required to take up a provincial teaching post. The bursar will not be granted permission to defer this contractual obligation, for example, to continue with full-time Honours studies. Nor, will the bursar be granted permission to take a “gap year”.
- Bursars will be expected to have and retain an e-mail address and a cell phone contact number for the duration of the study for communication purposes.
- The bursary must be repaid if the recipient fails to meet the requirements of the bursary agreement.
- The amount that is repayable is the full amount of the bursary received under the programme, less one year’s funding for every year spent teaching at a public school. Interest will be charged at the rate determined by the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) who administer financial aspects of the bursary on behalf of the Department of Basic Education.
- The bursary is awarded for one academic year at a time. On proof of academic success, the bursary may be renewed each year for the official duration of the qualification. The bursary holder will be required to re-apply from the 1st of October annually.
- The applicant should demonstrate good academic ability;
- The applicant must show commitment to a teaching career, which includes: interest in working with young people; enthusiasm for a professional career in teaching; readiness to face and surmount difficult challenges and personal integrity;
The priority areas are:
Foundation Phase(i.e. Grades R-3): Foundation Phase (with preference for African Languages)
Intermediate and Senior Phase(i.e. Grades 4-9):Preference will be given for a teaching major in TWO of the following: Languages, Mathematics, Natural Science & Technology.
FET phase (i.e. Grades 10-12): Preference will be given for a teaching major in TWO of the following:
Accounting; Agricultural Sciences; Agricultural Technology; Civil Technology; Computer Applications Technology; Economics; Electrical Technology; Engineering Graphics and Design; Geography; Information Technology; Life Sciences; Mathematics; Mechanical Technology; Physical Sciences, Languages, Technical Mathematics and Technical Science.
NB. The above terms and conditions must be read, and the “I accept” button must be clicked before you will be allowed to proceed to the application pages.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE THIS
Do you want to get a free diploma in one month , if yes click the link below and follow the instraction
1.Diploma in Digital Marketing 2.Diploma in Nutrition 3.Diploma in Financial Trading and Investment 4.Diploma in Graphic Design 5.Diploma in Health and Fitness 6.Diploma in Web Development 7.Diploma in Weight Loss 8.Diploma in Photoshop 9.Diploma in Sports Nutrition 10.Diploma in App Development 11.Diploma in Photography 12.Written English for Emails and Online Communications 13.Job Seeking and CV Presentation